“The platform was laid for a person like me with a little bit of power,” said Powell. “What I did therefore was to just take a few balls first and get going, and then after get going I could explode and go big.” Entering the fray with the Scorpions well-placed at 269 for two in the 36th over on the back of a record-equaling opening wicket stand of 174 between Chadwick Walton and Steven Taylor, and joining the then on-the-go Jermaine Blackwood, Powell went on to slam nine sixes and six fours in his electrifying act. The recent West Indies one-day debutant then returned to bowl with accuracy and variation to bamboozle the Red Force. The 31-year-old Walton topscored with 117, Taylor got 88, and Blackwood, an unbeaten 108. “The wicket kind of suited me,” he said of his bowling.” It was a not a fast wicket, and once the wicket is not fast, medium pacers, who bowl a lot of cutters and use their fingers on the ball can get a lot of assistance. I,therefore, just went out there to execute. He added: “I also would like to do same in the final, as the team is peaking at the moment, and I would like us to return home with the trophy.” The final is set for a 12:30 p.m. Jamaica time start, and is scheduled to be aired on cable television network, ESPN. -J.L. PLATFORM LAID Enterprising all-rounder Rovman Powell says execution was the order of the day for him against Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the semi-finals of the WICB Regional Super50 Tournament and come today, he hopes to replicate this against Barbados Pride in the final at the Coolidge Cricket Ground in Antigua and Barbuda. A revelation for Jamaica over the past two seasons, the 23-year-old Powell smashed a whirlwind career-best 95 off a mere 45 balls, and claimed a career-best five for 36 off eight overs to help guide Jamaica to a record-breaking 292 runs win over the dethroned champions. The Scorpions batted first and made 434 for four before dismissing Trinidad for 142.
Liberia’s football chief Musa Bility has outlined plans to improve football in the country with the support from the Liberian government.Mr. Bility, in his 2nd term’s inaugural address on Saturday, pointed out four main developmental pillars that if achieved could move the game to another level.He said the first pillar will be the building of 13 technical centers in 13 counties, and has therefore written to the Counties’ Local Administrations and Legislative Caucuses for 10 acres of land in each county for the project.He said Bong, Grand Gedeh and Maryland Counties have so far donated theirs lands, while six counties have consented to give theirs.Mr. Bility said the Grand Gedeians have beseeched the LFA to name it in memory of Liberia’s 21st President, the late Dr. Samuel K. Doe.He stated in an elated tone that the LFA has agreed to name it ‘The Samuel K. Doe Technical Center.’“We are working closely with Senator Jewel Howard-Taylor to dedicate the first leeward county’ technical center this year June,” Bility said.He said the second pillar is the petitioning of the National Legislature to mandate every County’s Local Administration to turn over every football facility to the Liberia Football Association.He stated that the fields would be used to effect the decentralization of football in the counties through youth and grassroots football.The football chief said the third pillar is the resolution to change the mandate of the Edwin M. Snowe’s Mobilization Committee from begging for money for the support of the national football teams (the Lone Star, Satellite, and Starlets) to lobby for a huge budgetary allocation.Mr. Bility said a ‘huge budgetary allotment’ would help boost the game in the country.President Bility said the fourth pillar is a recommendation to the Ministry of Youths and Sports to restrict the ages of players in the National County Sports Meet to U-17, and only players who are in schools should participate in the tournament.He added: “We would also suggest for the inclusion of Women Football in the County Meet.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A gardening event is encouraging residents to begin growing their own food and learn about the benefits of gardening.The Fort St. John Community Food Security Committee will be holding the “Come to the Table” event on Saturday.- Advertisement -Although the community garden is new to Fort St. John, having only begun last summer, Beth Thompson, one of the committee’s members, told Issues and Answers on Wednesday that the committee wants to encourage people to get involved in gardening in various ways.[asset|aid=3493|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=abde288bc099d133cd012df8c2565324-Thompson 1_1_Pub.mp3] Thompson says some of the benefits people have in growing their own food is that they know just how healthy their food is and exactly where it came from.Emily Goodman, another of the committee’s members, says the committee hopes to get various individuals involved in gardening, even if they do not have their own garden access.Advertisement [asset|aid=3494|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=abde288bc099d133cd012df8c2565324-Goodman garden 1_1_Pub.mp3] The event will include hands-on activities for all ages and gardening skill levels. Some of the booths at the event will allow residents to learn about doing yoga in their gardens, literacy promotion through gardening, composting and getting children involved in gardening.The event will take place on Saturday at the North Peace Cultural Centre from 12 until 5 p.m. and the committee will be handing out tomato seedlings to the first 200 residents that attend the event.
UPDATE: Drivebc.ca – Highway 97, in both directions. Vehicle incident between Beatton Airport Rd and Aitken Creek Rd for 13.2 km (40 to 27 km south of Wonowon). Single lane alternating traffic at 10:15 AMUPDATE: CVSE is on the scene.FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Traffic is stopped on Hwy 97 at approx Mile 76 due to a vehicle on fire.- Advertisement –Motorists have reported a Ford Pick up towing a boat is currently on fire.If you have any more information on the incident, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will keep the story updated.
With Hurricane Wilma expected to arrive with potentially devastating force in Florida this weekend, school and Atlantic Coast Conference officials postponed Saturday’s game between Georgia Tech and sixth-ranked Miami. No. 20 West Virginia’s trip to Tampa to face South Florida also was postponed. The Big East will wait until today to announce when the Mountaineers and Bulls will play. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Meanwhile, the NFL’s Miami Dolphins were taking a wait-and-see attitude and monitoring the storm’s path. The Dolphins are scheduled to host the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday afternoon. TENNIS: Andy Roddick blew a match point and lost 3-6, 7-6 (9-7), 7-6 (7-3) to Ivo Karlovic in the second round of the Madrid Masters in a contest between big servers. “For two sets, I don’t think I could have played better,” Roddick said. “It was the highest quality match we’ve played.” Pittsburgh Penguins top draft pick Sidney Crosby is among the 81 potential players for Canada’s hockey team at the Turin Olympics in February. The list, released by Hockey Canada on Tuesday, includes nine goaltenders, 23 defensemen and 49 forwards. A player has to be on the preliminary list to be eligible for the 23-man roster for the Olympics. Georgia Tech will play at Miami on Nov. 19. Miami’s scheduled trip to Wake Forest on Thursday, Nov. 17 will now be played on Saturday, Nov. 12. Tulane will play Central Florida on Friday instead of Saturday to avoid Wilma, which is expected to hit central Florida on Saturday. Forwards Jason Spezza, Eric Lindros, Paul Kariya and defenseman Bryan McCabe are among the players also named who weren’t among the 37 players invited to Team Canada’s summer camp. HORSE RACING: Jill’s Sky beat Element K. by 1 lengths to win Wednesday’s $45,000 feature at Santa Anita’s Oak Tree meeting. SOCCER: Four-time defending French champion Lyon remained perfect in the UEFA Champions League, rallying for a 2-1 victory Wednesday over Olympiakos. Also 3-0-0 in the group stage of Europe’s top club competition are Arsenal, which received two goals from Thierry Henry in a 2-0 victory Tuesday at Sparta Prague, and Bayern Munich, which edged Italian giant Juventus 2-1 Tuesday. Inter Milan suffered its first loss (2-0 at FC Porto), and two other title contenders – Chelsea (4-0 over Real Betis) and Real Madrid (4-1 over Rosenborg) – won big. Galaxy forward Landon Donovan was joined by PSV Eindhoven midfielder DaMarcus Beasley and Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Kasey Keller as finalists for the Honda Player of the Year award, presented annually to the top U.S. male soccer player. The winner will be announced Nov. 30. Galaxy players Herculez Gomez (Comeback Player of the Year) and Tyrone Marshall (Defender of the Year) were among MLS awards finalists announced Wednesday. The MVP will be scoring champion Taylor Twellman of New England, runner-up Jaime Moreno of D.C. United or assist leader Dwayne De Rosario of San Jose. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Donegal businesses are cashing in on the strength of sterling with a jump in visitors from across the border.Letterkenny is noticing a lift in shoppers from across the border due to the strength of sterling.Sterling is now at a two year high against the euro at €1.28 to £1.The situation means that consumers from across the North are now shopping, taking breaks and even having their weddings in Donegal. Toni Forrestor, CEO of Letterkenny Chamber, said there is a definite increase in the amount of business coming from across the border in recent months.And she says it’s a win, win situation for the local economy.“Letterkenny businesses have always offered good rates to our Northern visitors.“But the jump in the strength of sterling means that they are getting even more buying power. “We have certainly noticed the number of visitors from the North has increased in recent months.“It also means that some local sectors who would have traditionally went into the North for grocery shopping are staying local and finding good value here.“All in, it’s very good news for the local economy in Donegal,” she said.Some of the larger retailers such as Penneys have also reported large volumes of sterling passing through their shops as they offer favourable rates. SHOPPERS AND TOURISTS FLOCKING TO DONEGAL AS STERLING BOOMS was last modified: September 27th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegaleuroletterkennyshopperssterling
The names of a selection of South African products are now protected under a new agreement with the European Union (EU). It follows from a bilateral protocol on geographic indicators negotiated between the republic and the EU.South Africa said 102 wine names would be protected under the agreement and three agricultural product names, namely rooibos, Karoo lamb, and honeybush tea.In addition, an economic partnership agreement between the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and EU has been negotiated.#PostCab New agreement with EU will see 102 wine names, Karoo lamb, rooibos and honeybush (teas) names protected GD— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) May 26, 2016It allowed a single trade regime with the EU, said Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe, and “would enhance the preferential access of some products to the EU such as sugar, ethanol, wine, fish and fruit”, reported news website Business Day.“[The agreement] further demonstrates that our country is on a path to recovery and continues to be a viable investment destination,” the Cabinet said. “It ensures in line with the National Development Plan’s objectives that South Africa advances industrialisation and promotes South African exports into the EU market.”The agreement also promotes the development of regional value chains in Africa, contributing to regional integration.South Africa.info reporter
Forty-year-old Jaibir and his brothers at Khudan village here had together borrowed ₹5 lakh through the Kisan Credit Cards for the kharif crop this year. But they lost around 70% of the crop, mostly paddy and bajra, due to waterlogging in their farms after heavy rain in September.Mr. Jaibir is worried as to how he would repay the loan, the first instalment of which is due in December. “If I fail to pay the instalment, the interest rate would increase from 6% to 16%. But I have no choice. Of the around 12-acre land, we brothers have lost 70% crop in seven acres,” he said.Most of the farmers in his village and the neighbouring villages met the same fate.Nau Ratan Pradhan,72, chipped in saying that almost 80% land in their village was inundated with rainwater and more than 100 acres could not be prepared even for the rabi crop. “Another 200 acres would also get considerably delayed for the sowing of rabi crop,” he lamented. The rain came at a time when the crop was just a few weeks away from being harvested.Mr. Pradhan said after repeated requests, the district administration arranged for a pump set to drain out the water, but the pipes were found leaking. “It has been more than two months, but still the fields are inundated,” he said.“No one wants to take his life, but Prakash took the extreme step forced by financial crisis,” said 73-year-old ex-serviceman Krishan Singh.None of the villagers, however, has taken the crop insurance under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana. “We are an illiterate people. We don’t know the procedure to take crop insurance,” he said. Prakash’s brother Pradeep Kumar said that Prassan, a fellow villager, had taken crop insurance last year, but did not get claim for the failure of his nine-acre crop.
Courts in China’s western Xinjiang region have sentenced 113 people to jail terms ranging from 10 years to life for terrorist activities and other crimes, the Xinjiang government said, the latest in a slew of prosecutions targeting militant separatism.The sentences come after Beijing has vowed to crack down on religious extremists and separatist groups, which it blames for a series of violent attacks in Xinjiang, the traditional home of the Muslim Uighurs, and elsewhere.Exiled Uighur groups and human rights activists say the government’s repressive policies in Xinjiang, including controls on Islam, have provoked unrest, a claim Beijing denies.Xinjiang, resource-rich and strategically located on the borders of central Asia, is crucial to China’s growing energy needs. Analysts say that much of the proceeds have gone to the Han Chinese, stoking resentment among Uighurs.The latest sentences were handed out last Wednesday by courts in 11 counties and cities in the Kashgar region, Xinjiang’s official Tianshan news website said late on Sunday.It did not identify the ethnicity of those sentenced, but they had Uighur names.Those sentenced were accused of crimes such as “being involved in organising, leading and participating in a terrorist organisation, inciting ethnic hatred and ethnic discrimination”, bigamy, drug trafficking, robbery among other crimes, the Tianshan news report said.China has been on edge since a suicide bombing last month killed 39 people at a market in Xinjiang’s capital, Urumqi. In March, 29 people were stabbed to death at a train station in the southwestern city of Kunming.There is now a “competitive race” among various areas to arrest and sentence Uighurs, Dilxat Raxit, spokesman for the World Uyghur Congress, the largest group of exiled Uighurs, said in an email.advertisement”Uighurs who have revolted and expressed dissatisfaction against China’s repression are now accused of terrorism,” Raxit said.At least 380 people have been detained in the last month in a sweeping crackdown on violence in Xinjiang.State media last month reported a public mass sentencing, reminiscent of China’s revolutionary era rallies, attracting a crowd of 7,000 at a sports stadium in Yining city in the northern prefecture of Yili.Around 200 people have died in unrest in Xinjiang in the past year or so, the government says, including 13 people shot dead by police in a weekend attack on a police station.
Gujarat Lions pacer Dhawal Kulkarni is in awe of opener Aaron Finch for showing great character and helping Gujarat Lions post a three-wicket win over Mumbai Indians at the Wankhede stadium. Finch faced a little problem with his hamstring towards the end of the match but he battled through the pain to take the Lions past the finish line.”We (the team) just hoped he continued playing and that’s what he did, he showed great character and helped us win the game and he (Finch) is ok now,” Kulkarni said.In-form Australian opener Finch (67 not out) battled a hamstring injury to single-handedly take Gujarat Lions to a last-ball win over defending champions Mumbai Indians in a thrilling IPL match last night.”Yes, he (Finch) played throughout and one of the best innings I have ever witnessed and he helped us win, batted from the start and made sure we end up on the other side,” the 27-year-old pacer told reporters at the post-match conference.Kulkarni, who also hit a four in the last over, said, “My game plan was to just give him (Aaron Finch) strike, but anything pitched up I had to slog and luckily (Jasprit) Bumrah bowled a half volley and I could hit a boundary.”On his bowling performance, the Mumbaikar said, “I had performances like these before also, but I wouldn’t rate this as good as I have had in the past. It was my first game for Gujarat Lions, a proud moment for me and playing at the home ground its a special feeling always, I want to play here, want to do well on my home-ground.”advertisementKulkarni played against his Mumbai team-mate Rohit Sharma and picked up his wicket.When asked if there was any battle between the two when playing for opposite sides, the right-arm pacer quipped, “I feel I am always there for that battle, when you see your team-mate face you, it gives me that extra energy to bowl at him and he is such a great player and to take his wicket, it was great moment for me.”I have always looked up to him and he has always helped me in the Bombay (Mumbai) dressing room, so on the field we were playing against each other so there was no friendship we just wanted to go against each other,” he added.On his side giving away few runs in the last few overs, Kulkarni said, “No nothing went wrong, it happens in this format, you tend to start well and later on batsman tend to slog so we bowled well actually, just in patches there were quite many loose balls.”(With inputs from PTI)