first_imgA Corentyne, Berbice, Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) housewife is alleging she was beaten with a baton by Police at the Number 51 Police Station on Tuesday night. She is also accusing the officers of stealing $100,000 from her.Takurdai Jugnanand told Guyana Times on Wednesday that a group of Police Officers went to her Lot 73 Number 52 Village home on Tuesday and requested that she go to the Springlands Police Station. She said she did not leave with them but rather made her own way to the station with her 15-year-old son. According to Jugnanand, when she arrived at the station, there was a report by a driver of the car that she travelled in earlier in the day, stating that he left a cellphone in the back seat of the car and she picked it up. According to the woman, she was not given a chance to say anything, but she was told to stand against a wall. This, she told Guyana Times, was after she and her son were made to sit on aTakurdai Jugnanandbench for two hours.The mother of four explained that after being told to stand and face the wall she thought that the officer was going to carry out a body search to see if she had the cellular phone on her person.“I feel one lash on my shoulder and I start to holla and when I go to turn around I feel another lash on the other and I turn around and ask him “why you beating me, I aint do you anything,” and then he take the baton and lash me on my right knee and then lash me again on the knee…”In recounting the ordea,l Jagnanand said the Police Officer asked her to give him the cellphone.The woman is also claiming that her teenage son was questioned without her being present. More so, she said her son was slapped by an officer.According to Jugnanand, the officer took her bag and began to search it. She said she had $100,000 in the bag and the officer took the money and told her that had to be the cash she received after selling the phone.However, according to the housewife, the officer put the money into his pocket and promised to give it back to her when she was leaving. Jugnanand said she was made to sign two blank pieces of paper in order to secure her release. According to her, one of the officers at the station assisted her to take the teenager out of the station compound and she took a car home.At home she telephoned the Whim Police Station and asked for the officer in charge to make a report but was told that she would have to go to the station.She said on Wednesday morning she was there at 08:00h and after waiting until 12:30h, she left to seek medical attention. The 45-year-old woman said officers at the Whim Police Station refused to give her a medical form to take to the hospital. She said one was however given to her when she went to Central Police Station. The woman has since been seen by a doctor at the New Amsterdam Hospital. In tears, Jugnanand told Guyana Times that she wants to get her money back which the family saved for her husband’s eye surgery but was going to be used instead for her son’s urgent medical bills. (Andrew Carmichael)last_img read more

first_imgSunderland have urged the Football Association to make a quick decision on the next England boss after confirming Sam Allardyce has been granted permission to hold talks over the job.Allardyce, who guided the Black Cats to Premier League survival last season, is the hot favourite to succeed Roy Hodgson after he quit following the Three Lions’ disastrous showing at Euro 2016.Reports emerged on Tuesday that the 61-year-old had flown back to the UK from Sunderland’s pre-season training camp in Austria, to meet with FA vice-chairman David Gill, technical director Dan Ashworth and chief executive Martin Glenn.Sunderland have now confirmed that is the case, and have called on the FA to “bring about a swift resolution to the matter” as they try to plan ahead for next season.A statement from the club read: “The Football Association contacted Sunderland AFC to seek permission to speak with our manager as part of what was supposed to be a confidential discussion process with potential candidates for the position of England manager. “At Sam Allardyce’s request, we agreed to this.“Sam is very much key to our plans. After what was an extremely challenging season, we are keen to see a period of stability, both on and off the field, and we want him to remain as manager of our football club.“The ongoing speculation over Sam’s position is extremely damaging to Sunderland AFC, particularly at this crucial time of the season and we urge the FA to respect the disruption that this process is causing and bring about a swift resolution to the matter.”Despite Sunderland’s call for a quick resolution, the FA are unlikely to be rushed into making a decision on the next England boss despite beginning their World Cup qualiying campaign in September.Hull’s Steve Bruce has also been linked with the vacancy but has yet to receive an approach, while Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger and Bournemouth’s Eddie Howe have also been tipped to be in the running. Sam Allardyce 1last_img read more