“We must take note that MORE Power’sfranchise in Republic Act 11212 provides that PECO must first settle itsobligations to the consumers before wrapping up its operations,” the groupsaid. “We cannot rely on MORE because it is not bound to settle such obligationsto us when it eventually takes over the distribution services.” The group also questioned the speedwith which MORE Power was granted a provisional authority to operate by theEnergy Regulatory Commission (ERC), emphasizing their concern that it couldbecome the basis for MORE Power to bill consumers. On the other hand, MORE Power enteredthe energy industry just two years ago, and at the time it was a small-scalemining company by the name of MORE Mineral Corp.PECO is not alone in its proclamation that MORE Power does not have thetechnical capability to operate the power distribution facilities. Section 17of Republic Act 11212 states that PECO “shall in the interim be authorized tooperate the existing distribution system.”Judge Emerald Requiña-Contreras of the Regional Trial Court, Branch 23 evendeclared in an addendum to the Writ of Possession she issued earlier that “theoperation should still be handled by PECO personnel who have the technicalexpertise.” Netizens were quick to take to socialmedia their grievances with the slow service. ILOILO City – Power consumers here areoutraged by the brownouts taking place just one week after ports magnateEnrique Razon’s MORE Electric and Power Corp. (MORE Power) took over theoperations of Panay Electric Co.’s (PECO) five substations. In an advisory released on MOREPower’s Facebook page, the company noted that it took more than two hours tofinish the restoration of unscheduled power interruptions in barangays SantoNiño Sur, Santo Niño Norte and Calaparan in Arevalo district, and Barangay Calumpangin Molo district.MORE Power attributed the power interruption to a “momentary line fault”although experts said the resumption of power should have been much earlier. On March 6, following MORE Power’stakeover, Judge Contreras ordered MORE to return the operations to PECO,stating that she was still uncertain of MORE’s technical capability.“The Regional Trial Court of Mandaluyong has already said that what MORE Poweris trying to do is unconstitutional, but they keep using misrepresentations andblatant lies to force their way in,” stressed PECO head of Public Engagementand Government Affairs Marcelo Cacho. “MORE Power claims it can do what we do when clearly cannot, and this is considering that they unsuccessfully tried to pirate our technical experts,” says Panay Electric Co.’s head of Public Engagement and Government Affairs Marcelo Cacho. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN Some consumers complained that MOREPower was not responsive to queries on the company’s steps to rectify thesituation, with Pol Ibarreta lamenting, “Walana si MORE ga-reply sa Facebook.”I-Konsumidor, a group of power consumers in this city, felt that the powerstruggle between MORE Power and PECO is putting consumers at a disadvantage. He added: “They even claim that theycan do what we do when they clearly cannot, and this is considering that theyunsuccessfully tried to pirate our technical experts.”/PN “Anoba MORE? Bago pa lang kamo, duha na ka oras brownout di,” posted Rolando Dabao, former Iloilo City councilor.“Expect brownouts pa MORE,” commentedVictor Bernardo. “MORE is running the facilities butPECO is the one which has contracts with power generators. These contractscannot be assigned to MORE,” said the group.“If MORE will start billing us after two months, what will be the basis oftheir rates? We don’t know because there was no application nor did we attendor even learn of any public hearing on their application for provisionalauthority to enter into a Power Supply Agreement,” added the group.Before MORE Power secured its franchise, PECO was the sole power provider inIloilo City for 95 years, tracing back to the post-World War 2 rehabilitationefforts.
After a summer of frustration in the transfer market, Ian Holloway’s team are favourites for the drop, but Villas-Boas is wary of under-estimating the newly-promoted side on Sunday. Given that the fixture will be Palace’s first in the top-flight in eight years, Villas-Boas expects a raucous atmosphere at Selhurst Park. “It will be a difficult game because of Selhurst Park,” Villas-Boas told Spurs TV Online. “As a stadium, it’s very hard to play in, there will be lots of emotion and intensity, and it’s always difficult to play against a team that has just come up.” While Spurs have spent almost £60million on new signings, Palace have struggled to add any experienced players to their squad. To make matters worse, two of the club’s key players from last year, Glenn Murray and Yannick Bolasie, are injured, as is new signing Jerome Thomas. Villas-Boas still expects a competitive game from Holloway’s side, though, partly because he has not been able to draw on the experience of playing Palace last year in his usually thorough preparation for the match. “Obviously Palace have a couple of problems – they are trying to put their team together, but we don’t know them as well as other teams, and that is always a factor,” the 35-year-old said. “We have to be disciplined in that respect and hopefully with the quality we have, we hope that can make the difference and we hope can bring back the three points.” After a summer spent batting away questions about Gareth Bale’s future, Villas-Boas is looking forward to returning to the dugout as Spurs look to start the season with a win. Although Villas-Boas will be without Bale, who has a foot injury, for Sunday’s game, the Spurs boss has the luxury of having four new signings available for the game in south-east London. Press Association Roberto Soldado, who said earlier in the week that he hopes to score 20 goals this season, is expected to line up in attack while Paulinho is likely to start in midfield. There is also a chance that Etienne Capoue could be drafted in at centre-back if Villas-Boas decides Younes Kaboul should not be risked following his comeback from a year-long injury layoff. Capoue, who joined from Toulouse on Thursday for £8.6million, is excited by the prospect of playing for the north London club. “I watched some Tottenham games last year and they have a very good style and they have a good spirit,” the France international said. “I want to play a lot of games here. It’s very nice. “Next season for me I hope to play a lot of Premier League games and in Europe and at the end of the year there is a World Cup in Brazil so that is a good target for me.” Andre Villas-Boas expects his Tottenham team to walk in to a cauldron of hostile noise on Sunday when they take on Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.
Nenagh CBS will face Cork side Rochestown College in the Harty Cup quarter-finals.Last nights draw also paired Thurles CBS with opposition from the Rebel County as they will take on Gaelcolaiste Mhuire.Clonmel High School – the sole remaining Tipperary side in the Corn Ui Mhuirí – will face St Brendan’s in the last eight.