Somali government troops backed by African Union forces on Friday captured the Shabaab stronghold of Dinsor, the second town seized from the al-Qaeda-affiliated Islamists this week, the defence minister said.”Our forces have secured control of Dinsor, and the insurgents have fled after losing the battle… the troops are now conducting security operations to clear the town,” Somali Defence Minster, General Abdulkadir Sheikh Ali Dini told reporters.The fall of Dinsor comes after the capture by AU troops of the nearby town of Bardhere on Wednesday, some of the last key towns held by the al-Qaeda-affiliated Islamists.Witnesses confirmed the takeover of the southern town, saying the Shabaab fled ahead of government and Ethiopian troops with the AU force, pulling out of the town on Thursday afternoon. “Most of the residents fled so it looks like a ghost town,” said resident Mohamed Added, adding that the government troops were in control. “There are very few people remaining, most of them elderly.”The African Union Mission in Somalia, or Amisom, last week launched “Operation Jubba Corridor” – an offensive it said was aimed at flushing the insurgents out of rural areas in southern Somalia and which has involved Ethiopian and Kenyan forces, officials said.Witnesses have reported heavy casualties in the offensive with civilians caught up in the fighting.The Shebab is fighting to overthrow Somalia’s Western-backed government which is propped up and protected by the 22 000-strong Amisom force.
Manager Martin O’Neill has called up Aberdeen forward Adam Rooney and Brentford’s Alan Judge while Colorado Rapids Kevin Doyle is also included.The game against England is a friendly but the match against the Scots is a must win Euro qualifier.
The president of UEFA doesn’t see Germany or Spain as favourites to win the tournament in Brazil this year and instead thinks that South American teams will prove stronger.”Brazil and Argentina will be very difficult to defeat. The last two World Cups have been by Europeans and I think that bothers South Americans,” said Platini in an interview with French daily Le Parisien.Platini scored 41 goals in 72 appearances for France between 1976 and 1987.The UEFA President Platini had never held back in his assessment of the current situation.“The biggest problem was São Paulo. There was still questions about the number of seats. FIFA want to know exactly how many there are.”“There were also additional structures that nobody wants to pay for.
by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow â€” The Wellington City Council has approved the transfer of $880,476 out of its contingency fund to Sumner Regional Medical Center to help the local healthcare facility pay some bills.The action came after two one-hour executive sessions to discuss confidential personnel matters and non-elected personnel at Tuesdayâ€™s meeting. Taking the recommendation of City Attorney Michael Brown, the funds will specifically be designated as follows:â€¢$366,601 will go toward KPERS.â€¢$365,523 will go towards the SRMCâ€™s accounts payable;â€¢$13,352 will go toward CERNA, the computer software;â€¢$135,000 will go toward Impact Bank for loan payment.The council then voted to extend the city utility abatements for another six months.Â In its final course of action for the night, the council also voted to form a sub-committee which will include two council members and two members of the Wellington Healthcare Authority who will meet to deal with the financial dealings of SRMC on a periodical basis.The city currently has $1.7 million in its contingency fund, which is a rainy day type fund. With the allocation of $880,476 the fund has been cut in half. Interim City Manager Shane Shields said the council will need to take separate action to determine how to make up for those funds at a later date.The specifics on the fund allocation and the suddenness of such distribution were not discussed in public session.Council member John Brand said the hospital is at a crossroads, and the community will need to decide how much of a taxation commitment is needed for the long-term solution of SRMC.Council member B.J. Tracy said the council needs to set a community public forum to put everything out there on what is happening and to allow citizens to ask questions.â€œThis has been a rough decision,â€ said Wellington City Council member Jim Valentine. â€œWe all have to work on this together. I believe this is a positive move what happened tonight.â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢â€¢ In other city business:â€¢The council upped the pay of Shields to a level 25 salary which is a pay scale of 41 to 47 hourly range as long as he is serving in a city manager capacity. Shields is serving both as a city manager and city clerk for the time being.â€¢A work session has been set for June 16 at 5:30 p.m. to discuss the five-year Capital Improvement Plan.â€¢Council member Jan Korte offered her support with getting H Street paved much like the recently completed street on Lincoln.â€¢Council member B.J. Tracy recapped some of the activities going on at Memorial Auditorium including the restoring of the veteranâ€™s room in the front entrance of the building, and the fact there were over 800 people who attended the Collin Raye concert.â€¢Steve Mitchell, Director of the Sterling House, warned council members of the growing problem of people taking advantage of the elderly in the community.â€¢Shields spoke of Mike Dwyer, a former member of the Wellington Park Board, for upgrading the â€œWelcome to Wellingtonâ€ sign on the west side of town. Mayor Roger Stallbaumer said it was a generous donation of Dwyerâ€™s time and financial commitment.â€¢Wellington Public Works Director Jeremy Jones have identified 80-plus trip hazards in the sidewalks that need to be shaved to adhere to ADA requirements. The total cost is about $8,000 and will be completed before the Wheat Festival.â€¢The council decided to not proceed with the demolishing of 611 W. 13th Street as the owner has demonstrated progress on the previously condemned project.Follow us on Twitter.