first_img “The platform was laid for a person like me with a little bit of power,” said Powell. “What I did therefore was to just take a few balls first and get going, and then after get going I could explode and go big.” Entering the fray with the Scorpions well-placed at 269 for two in the 36th over on the back of a record-equaling opening wicket stand of 174 between Chadwick Walton and Steven Taylor, and joining the then on-the-go Jermaine Blackwood, Powell went on to slam nine sixes and six fours in his electrifying act. The recent West Indies one-day debutant then returned to bowl with accuracy and variation to bamboozle the Red Force. The 31-year-old Walton topscored with 117, Taylor got 88, and Blackwood, an unbeaten 108. “The wicket kind of suited me,” he said of his bowling.” It was a not a fast wicket, and once the wicket is not fast, medium pacers, who bowl a lot of cutters and use their fingers on the ball can get a lot of assistance. I,therefore, just went out there to execute. He added: “I also would like to do same in the final, as the team is peaking at the moment, and I would like us to return home with the trophy.” The final is set for a 12:30 p.m. Jamaica time start, and is scheduled to be aired on cable television network, ESPN. -J.L. PLATFORM LAID Enterprising all-rounder Rovman Powell says execution was the order of the day for him against Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the semi-finals of the WICB Regional Super50 Tournament and come today, he hopes to replicate this against Barbados Pride in the final at the Coolidge Cricket Ground in Antigua and Barbuda. A revelation for Jamaica over the past two seasons, the 23-year-old Powell smashed a whirlwind career-best 95 off a mere 45 balls, and claimed a career-best five for 36 off eight overs to help guide Jamaica to a record-breaking 292 runs win over the dethroned champions. The Scorpions batted first and made 434 for four before dismissing Trinidad for 142.last_img read more

first_imgThe ACT Government has knocked back an unsolicited bid by Aquis Entertainment for the AU$330 million redevelopment of Casino Canberra.Chief Minister Andrew Barr revealed on Wednesday that although the government recognizes the potential benefits of developing the Casino Canberra site, Aquis’ proposal was untenable due to ongoing uncertainty surrounding regulation as well as financing details. Ainsworth launches review of product development after Asia-Pacific struggles see FY19 decline RelatedPosts In a filing to the Australian Securities Exchange, Aquis – which is controlled by Hong Kong businessman Tony Fung – blamed “certain decisions taken by the ACT” for rejection of its bid. They include changes to legislation regarding electronic gaming machines, including how many gaming machines Aquis would be allowed to install and how they would be obtained.The ACT Government previously rejected a request by Aquis to operate 500 slot machines at Casino Canberra, offering 200 slot machines and 60 EGMs instead subject to certain strict conditions. Casino Canberra is not allowed to operate any slot machines under current law.Aquis said in this week’s filing that such restrictions “meant it was difficult to progress Aquis’ original proposal. In addition, Aquis could not provide detailed information in relation to the financing of the proposal requested by the ACT Government without the ACT Government providing the certainty sought by Aquis in respect of various key aspects of its proposal including tax rates, license fees and the legislative framework.”However, it added that the company has been invited to work with the Economic Development Division of the Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development on a revised proposal.“Aquis continues to believe that the development of an integrated entertainment precinct in Canberra’s CBD offers Canberra and the ACT a once in a lifetime tourism infrastructure opportunity,” the company said. “Therefore, Aquis will continue to engage with the ACT Government on development opportunities.”Aquis also revealed that it has received a number of preliminary proposals to acquire either Casino Canberra or a controlling stake in the company. Cairns targeting up to 500,000 tourists a year with Global Tourism Hub Revenue falls, losses widen for Aquis Entertainment Load Morelast_img read more