– $200,000 found on teenager banditAt least seven motorcars were stolen while a few others were broken into and a few houses burglarised over the past few days in New Amsterdam, Berbice.On Friday, Divisional Commander Assistant Commissioner Paul Langevine, DSM, told Guyana Times that he was unaware of several cars being stolen.More alarming, is the fact that teenagers are being used to carry out these criminal acts. One of the perpetrators has been identified as a student who attends a special needs school in New Amsterdam.There have been concerns over the police’s apparent slothfulness in responding to the reports and more so, there are no systems in place to prevent an occurrence.One of the car owners reportedly caught a teenager in his car red-handed and gave him a good flogging but the police are now threatening to charge him with assault.The motorcar belonging to Hikel that crashed into the utility poleAnother car owner reported that he woke up and found his car broken into. Upon checking, $12,000 was removed and the ignition wires had been cut which is evidence that the perpetrator was trying to steal the car.One businessman, Jacob Hikel, recalled that he was injured when a teenager attacked him with an ice pick during a home invasion. His car was also stolen.Hikel told Guyana Times that he heard footsteps in the house and thought it was a relative but in the wee hours of Friday morning, he heard his car engine start and as he looked through his bedroom window, he saw his car being driven out of the yard.According to Hikel, he dashed out of the bedroom and went to the first floor where he was greeted by an open door. When he got outside, he was attacked by a teenager with an ice pick. The young man then jumped the fence and escaped.Meanwhile, the grill work to one of the windows was cut at his Lot 63-64 Vrymens Ervin home. It appears as though someone jumped into the verandah and cut the grill to gain entry to the building.The lock on the front door was also wrenched off. The perpetrators reportedly removed a computer and a music box along with alcoholic beverages and grocery from the refrigerator.Meanwhile, as the car drove away, Hikel gave chase on foot for about 200 meters but eventually gave up.The grill work to the window of Hikel’s house was cut with a nipper“I see the car turn around and start coming towards me very fast and I had to jump into the corner to save myself,” he told Guyana Times.Surveillance footage captured the car, PPP 7796, crashing into a utility pole. The pole broke and fell onto the vehicle but the occupants managed to escape unhurt with a number of items including a vacuum cleaner and a headphone as well as documents.Meanwhile, several other persons have reported that their homes were burglarised – one such house is owned by Denise Brutus of Lot 72 Errol’s Ville.According to Brutus, she woke up and found the back door open and her 55-inch flat screen television missing. An electronic tablet and three flash drives were also taken by the perpetrators.She explained that several louvre panes were removed from a window to gain access into the building. The woman noted that on the following night, more louvre panes were removed from another window but the bandits could not gain entry due to the bars.However, the bandits went to the upper flat where Merissa Brutus lives. She said she looked through her bedroom door and saw the front door rocking and got up and armed herself but the perpetrators aborted their attack.In addition, on Monday last, Denise was having a conversation with a friend and based on the features of a 13-year-old boy, suspicions were raised. He was cornered and upon questioning, he admitted that he helped the others to take out the louvre panes but did not go in the house.He was handed over to the police where $200,000 was allegedly found in his possession. He reportedly told investigators that he broke into the New Amsterdam Central Islamic Mosque at Main and King Streets, where he stole the money.The window with the missing louvre panesImam of the Mosque, Mosses Haniff, told this publication that the place of worship was broken into and the contribution box was broken into and the contents are missing.“I can’t say how much money was in it at the time because it was donations,” he explained.Haniff said the matter was reported to the police and was surprised when this publication informed him that someone had confessed to taking the money to the police.“The police have not gotten on to me and that was since Monday, they should have by now,” he said.
zoom Singapore-based Keppel Shipyard has secured a floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel conversion contract from Dutch oil and gas services provider SBM Offshore.Under the contract, the shipbuilder is to convert a very large crude carrier (VLCC) into an FPSO, which upon completion, will be deployed to the Liza field, located 193 km offshore Guyana in the Stabroek block.The shipyard’s work scope includes refurbishment and life extension works, such as the upgrading of living quarters, fabrication and installation of spread mooring systems, as well as the installation and integration of topside modules.Keppel informed that the converted FPSO will have a storage capacity of 1.6 million barrels of crude oil and will be capable of producing up to 120,000 barrels of oil per day. The vessel will have a gas treatment capacity of circa 170 million standard cubic feet per day and a water injection capacity of circa 200,000 barrels of water per day.The company added that the deal is not expected to have a material impact on the net tangible assets or earnings per share of Keppel Corporation Limited for the current financial year.
APTN National News OTTAWA–The Harper government has given the Truth and Reconciliation Commission a one-year extension, Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard Valcourt said Thursday.The TRC had been seeking the extension arguing it didn’t have time to go through over a million documents from federal government archives. The TRC was contemplating taking court action to force Ottawa into giving it the extension.“This additional year would allow the (TRC) sufficient time to complete its mandate, including writing its final report and receiving those documents held at Library and Archives Canada,” said Valcourt in a statement. “Our government remains committed to achieving a fair and lasting resolution to the legacy of Indian residential schools which lies at the heart of reconciliation and the renewal of the relationship between Aboriginal people and all Canadians.”The TRC’s extension will run until June 30, 2015.The TRC was forced to take Ottawa to court to force the federal government to hand over historical documents associated with residential firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 03 Aug 2015 – With little time to raise the cash, the Dominican poachers were last week unable to produce the $5,400 fine they all faced after being caught red handed fishing illegally in TCI waters. The 28 men plead guilty to the eight charges, including having nearly 2,000 pounds of lobster, parrot fish and conch and are now remanded for six months likely at the detention center. Poachers found Sunday; slammed with seven charges Related Items:dominican, fine, poachers Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Dominican Officials agree to stop sex trafficking, poachers Dominican poachers arrested and charged
00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsThe Julian Cuyamaca Fire District, the last independent volunteer fire department in the county, could soon fall under CalFire.But many people turned out Tuesday to speak out against the move.KUSI’s Lauren Phinney has the story. Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: CalFire, Julian, Julian Cuyamaca Fire District FacebookTwitter Lauren Phinney February 13, 2018 Julian residents against bringing in CalFire to take over volunteer station Posted: February 13, 2018 Lauren Phinney,
Archer now has an opportunity to shine in the longest formatTwitter/Cricket World CupWith the double blow of losing the first Test as well as their premium bowler James Anderson, England are struggling to keep their spirits high in the ongoing Ashes series. Now, the fans and some of the experts have pinned their hopes on Jofra Archer for turning the campaign around for the hosts. Archer is an immensely exciting bowler and on top of the world right now after his heroics in the World Cup. But will he prove to be an equally good performer in the longest format?The answer to this question isn’t going to satisfy too many English fans as it is simply: We don’t know! He was always likely to prove very effective in the ODI format as he had performed extremely well in T20 leagues around the world. The set of skills that made him a superstar of the shortest format were bound to prove very useful in the 50-over version as well. But there is no guarantee that those skills would be of great value in Test matches.Yes, he has pace which is always a big asset for teams, especially those who struggle to get rid of tailenders easily. It was this inability to get rid of tailenders that cost England badly in the first Test. However, just pace isn’t going to be enough against a team like Australia as they are not completely unfamiliar with high-class bowling at good speeds. Archer gets an opportunity due to Anderson suffering an injuryHis yorkers and slower balls are very effective in ODIs, especially death overs, but in a Test match, where there is no pressure of scoring quickly, they will be merely occasional variations. Getting a wicket in this format requires bowling a consistent line and length and developing good plans. Whether Archer has those traits in his bowling also, we are yet to see.What would work in his favour is the fact that he has experienced the most high-pressure and tense situation that any player can come across. This experience of holding his nerve in the World Cup final would prevent him from feeling any giddiness when taking the field for his first Ashes Test.He also seems to be a mature bowler who remains calm. But wickets in Tests won’t come as easy as in the shorter formats. Will he be able to sustain his focus, speed and precision throughout a long day to see his side home? That’s the big question and the answer to which may decide whether England are able to fight back or not. For the moment, to regard him as England’s greatest hope would be premature.
Kevork Djansezian/Getty ImagesPeople attend an orientation class in filing up their application for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.Thousands of Dreamers thought they had met the final deadline to renew their DACA status last month. But some of those applications got stuck in the mail.The Trump administration plans to end the program formally known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which protects nearly 700,000 young immigrants in the country illegally from deportation, starting next year.The administration now says it will reconsider some applications that incorrectly were rejected, even though they were mailed before the deadline.According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services — the agency that processes DACA renewals — at least 4,000 applications were rejected for barely missing the deadline, out of more than 130,000 renewal applications.It’s not clear how many of those applications were rejected incorrectly. Immigrant rights advocates say they’ve encountered dozens of cases, but the real number could be in the thousands.Varlene Cooper, a DACA recipient who came to the U.S. from Grenada 20 years ago, lives in Brooklyn with her two kids, who are U.S. citizens. Cooper says she mailed her DACA renewal and the application fee more than a week before the deadline of October 5. And then she held her breath.“To DACA recipients, it’s our lives — this is our entire lives, hanging in the balance,” she said.Cooper’s application — and an unknown number of others — were sitting in a post office box on October 5. Federal bureaucrats didn’t pick them up until the next day. The U.S. Postal Service failed to deliver another batch of applications until days after the deadline. All were rejected for being late.At first, USCIS said the people whose applications were rejected were essentially out of luck. But in a memo issued late Wednesday night, the agency changed course.USCIS now says it will reconsider renewal applications that were rejected— provided the applicant can show “individualized proof” that the application arrived late as “the result of USPS mail service error.”In cases where the rejected application arrived at the post office box on time, USCIS says it will “proactively reach out” to the applicants to let them resubmit.The memo from the agency came just hours before a court hearing in Brooklyn, in a case where a coalition of immigration and civil rights lawyers are challenging the Trump administration’s plan to end DACA. Lawyers in that case say the reported problems with rejected applications were predictable.“The simplest way that this could’ve been avoided would’ve been for the government to apply the rule that it applies in many other circumstances, which is called the mailbox rule, which goes by the date of the postmark,” said Joshua Rosenthal, a staff attorney at the National Immigration Law Center. Instead, the Trump administration required that all renewal applications be received by the October 5 deadline.Lawyers representing DACA applicants say deadline snafus weren’t the only problem. They say there were clerical mistakes, too — including one application that was rejected because a bureaucrat thought the applicant wrote 2012 on her check instead of 2017.At Thursday’s hearing, Judge Nicholas Garaufis urged lawyers for the government and the DACA applicants to resolve problems with rejected applications on their own. But if they can’t, Rosenthal said the plaintiffs would seek to add the wrongly rejected applicants to their lawsuit.After the hearing, DACA recipient Varlene Cooper seemed hopeful.“I was really happy that they said they would reconsider,” Cooper said. “It’s not our fault — we did everything you asked of us. And to have that thrown in our face, that hurt.”Copyright 2017 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. Share
Here’s a first look:What it is: BlackBerry Management Center lets you manage your business’s BlackBerry devices from anywhere using an online Web application. You can manage a number of things through the service like setting up email, contacts and calendars for each of your company phones. If a phone gets lost, you can lock it and display a message telling whoever finds the phone how it can be returned. Worst case scenario: you can use BlackBerry Management Center to wipe the data from a lost or stolen phone, including its microSD card. You can also restore the settings and content from a lost or broken phone onto a new phone.What you might like: Managing user phones from the Web application is as easy as promised, although you’re going to have to do some legwork to sync company devices with your BlackBerry Management Center account. The hard part mostly boils down to retrieving several ID numbers attached to your various BlackBerry devices as well as making sure apps like BlackBerry Protect and email are properly configured on each device. Once that’s done, using the service is pretty much a matter of navigating a few simple menus that display your options for each smartphone.Another useful feature: Employees who use their personal Blackberry devices in your business can add them to the service. In that case, users can determine how much control BlackBerry Management Center has over their device.What you might not like: The mobile work crowd is diverse. And if they’re not all using BlackBerrys, they’re not all controlled by this product. Which absolutely limits how much order the Management Center will bring to the mobile chaos in your shop.What to do: If your shop has a bring-your-own-gadget-to-work culture, Management Center is not for you. It simply does not support a broad enough array of devices to make it worth the hassle. But if your business has even a couple of BlackBerry devices in the mix, this service could provide some peace of mind.How do you keep track of your company’s smartphones? Let us know in the comments section. min read August 22, 2011 Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. Register Now » Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals If smartphones are a small-business boon, they’re also a potential liability.Not only do businesses who offer them to employees have to keep track of who is using what device, they’re also loaded with information you don’t want “just anyone” to have access to. (If you’ve ever had to replace a lost or stolen company smartphone, you know what a hassle it can be.)The Waterloo, Ont.-based smartphone giant Research in Motion recently debuted its new BlackBerry Management Center — basically a do-it-yourself tool for managing three to 100 BlackBerry devices. It’s free, which makes it an appealing choice for companies that can’t afford expensive IT services to handle their growing arsenal of smartphones.It’s also one more reason RIM hopes businesses will continue to use its products. Google’s recent blockbuster buy-out of Motorola Mobility means these business oriented technologies are more important to the struggling smartphone maker than ever before. Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.