first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionI’m ashamed to be associated as an alumni of Niskayuna High School. I read in the Oct. 7 Gazette: “Niskayuna Central School District Superintendent Cosimo Tangorra Jr. issued a statement just after noon Friday stating that the national anthem will not be played at the high school pep rally Friday afternoon, as has been the custom in past years.The statement read in part: “After careful thought and consideration by our administration, and after meeting with members of our student body, it was decided that the national anthem would not be played as it has been in the past. This is an event focused on school spirit and unity, and there was a concern that given the intensity of this issue and the diversity of viewpoints, that this event could turn what is supposed to be a positive experience for our students into a negative one.”What a cowardly and unpatriotic statement. I’m calling for the immediate removal of Superintendent Tangorra. A person in that leadership role shouldn’t be in a position to influence our children. His statement claims that in the interest of the diversity of viewpoints, the anthem will not be played. Has he disregarded the viewpoint of the majority of students and Americans? Why is a patriotic viewpoint being discriminated? Why does he insist on soiling our freedom and flag and national pride by refusing to continue the traditional playing of the anthem at pep rallies? The students should be taught respect and honor, not encouraged to participate in an act of such disrespect. Freedom of speech is of utmost importance, but what the superintendant has done here is extinguish that freedom of speech. He’s denying the majority of the students rights to express their love of country when putting their hand over their heart while playing our anthem, as has been tradition.I will never support NHS fund-raisers or any other event sponsored by NHS until the superintendant has been removed or issues a statement of apology and reverses his deplorable, yes deplorable, actions banning our national anthem. His statement and actions are a disgrace and are cowardly. We all should be ashamed.Joseph WolfeOrmand Beach, Fla. (formerly of Niskayuna)More from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusNiskayuna girls’ cross country wins over BethlehemEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesPuccioni’s two goals help Niskayuna boys’ soccer top Shaker, remain perfectlast_img read more

first_imgTopics : The South Pacific nation last week scrapped domestic social distancing measures, while maintaining strong border restrictions.Ardern on Wednesday suspended the program that allowed the women to be released early from quarantine on compassionate grounds, saying New Zealand’s successful virus response could not be undermined.She stressed that the women, who were visiting a dying relative, had done nothing wrong and complied with health protocols at all times.The women remain in isolation as health officials scramble to test about 320 people they had contact with while in New Zealand. Ardern said it was “absolutely nonsensical” they were not tested earlier and it was clear border controls needed to be tightened to ensure similar failures were not repeated.She said assistant chief of defense Digby Webb had been appointed to oversee border quarantine operations and was being given access to military personnel and logistical expertise.”My view is that we need the rigor, we need the confidence, we need the discipline that the military can provide,” Ardern told reporters.Health Minister David Clark said New Zealand had successfully “eliminated COVID-19” prior to latest imported cases, after recording only 22 deaths in a population of five million.center_img Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern ordered the military to oversee New Zealand’s borders Wednesday after a quarantine bungle that allowed COVID-19 back into the country.A 24-day run with no new cases was broken on Tuesday when it emerged two women who recently arrived from Britain were allowed out of quarantine early without being tested for the virus, even though one had mild symptoms.The pair were eventually swabbed and proved to be infected, but only after they made a 650 kilometer road-trip from Auckland to Wellington to see a dying relative.last_img read more

first_imgRene Meulensteen admits he is embroiled in a transfer window “tug of war” to bolster Fulham’s Barclays Premier League relegation battle. The Fulham head coach pledged to do whatever it takes to bring new recruits to Craven Cottage by the end of the month. Fulham are likely to add a defender and a striker to their squad, with Brondby’s Denmark forward Simon Makienok among their targets. Holland goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg had been expected to make a return from injury in Saturday’s Sunderland clash. But now Meulensteen thinks his first-choice stopper will not be ready for the Craven Cottage cup showdown with Chris Hughton’s Norwich. “He will have to be assessed again: he’s still a doubt for Tuesday,” said Meulensteen. “He’s progressing nicely, but maybe just not enough to make it back for Tuesday. “Let me start by saying first and foremost that David has done an excellent job. “But Maarten is an international established goalkeeper and he has done well for us, so it will be a big boost for us to come back.” Meulensteen confirmed Fulham have allowed Ghana midfielder Derek Boateng to speak to Sky Bet Championship club Watford. Boateng has made just three Fulham appearances since his May 2013 move to Craven Cottage. Fulham boss Meulensteen said Boateng’s World Cup dream could lead him to make the switch in search of regular first-team football. “We’re looking in terms of Derek as a player that has a chance to go to the World Cup,” said Meulensteen. “So we’ve allowed him to speak to Watford.” Press Association Captain Brede Hangeland should be fit to return in Tuesday’s FA Cup third-round replay against Norwich after back surgery. But Meulensteen still admits Fulham need more defensive stability, especially after Saturday’s 4-1 home league humbling at the hands of relegation rivals Sunderland. “There are constant ongoing discussions, but as we all know it’s a difficult time as well,” said the former Manchester United coach. “It’s a bit of a tug of war here and there. “Any manager that has the opportunity to do something that he knows will improve what he has, then he will take it. “Anything that will give us a better chance to stay up, of course you’ll do it. “Brede is very close, very close, he’s trained really well and hopefully we can introduce him on Tuesday. “When Brede comes back you get a very, very experienced defender, and hopefully that will give us some more options.” last_img read more

first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) – Axed Trinidad and Tobago Red Force wicketkeeper/batsman Denesh Ramdin has blasted the team’s selectors and has gone as far as accusing coach Mervyn Dillon of not wanting him around.In an interview on the Mason & Guest radio show here Tuesday, the former West Indies captain said the disrespect of senior players by the selectors and the uncertainty team members were feeling were affecting morale.The veteran cricketer, who chairman of selectors Tony Gray said had been omitted from the 13-man squad for the sixth and seventh rounds of the tournament because of a lack of form, added that there was a serious problem in communication between players and management.“They’re not respecting our senior players. They are doing their own thing, basically,” the former Red Force skipper said, adding that he was not the only experienced player who has been overlooked.“Ravi Rampaul was available for the whole season and they just bypassed him. When you look around there’s no one who can bowl faster than this guy. He helps the younger players.”In the two matches he played for Red Force this season, Ramdin batted three times and scored just 16 in one instance and two ducks in the others. He ended last season with 348 runs, including two half-centuries, at an average of almost 22.Ramdin admitted being “shocked and surprised” at being dropped, adding that the chairman of selectors had told him to “play club cricket”.“Our system is very strange. They will call you and let you know when you get dropped, but when you get selected you have to read it in the news. It’s very disrespectful,” he told radio show hosts Andrew Mason and Dr Andrew Forde.“I’m not sure what message they’re sending to the younger players because at the moment they have players who think that if you get a low score you’re going to be out the next game, so guys are not comfortable in the game. They’re scratching here, they’re scratching there, they’re wondering ‘if I don’t make runs this game, I’m gone the next game’.”Ramdin said he would have loved to captain the team for one more season, to give the younger players guidance, but believed he was not appreciated or wanted by Dillon, with whom he said he did not “see eye-to-eye”.“That’s what we’re lacking in the Caribbean at this point in time – the guidance of the younger players to do certain things, but our coach at the moment, I don’t think he wants me around,” he charged.“I believe he just wants a young group of guys that he can dictate and use them to go forward, but this Four-Day Tournament you need senior players around so that when pressure comes you’d be able to handle it a lot better.”Red Force are going into the next round of the six-team tournament in fifth place, on 46.6 points. Barbados Pride lead the standings with 84.2 points, ahead of defending champions Guyana Jaguars on 60.8 points. They are followed by Jamaica Scorpions on 57.4 points and Windward Islands Volcanoes on 50 points. Leeward Islands Hurricanes round up the bottom with 32.6 points.In addition to Ramdin, four others were dropped from the Red Force squad, led by Yannick Ottley. Ramdin, Yannic Cariah, Keagan Simmons, Kissoondath Magram and Daniel St Clair have been replaced by fast bowler Anderson Phillip, veteran leg-spinner Imran Khan, spinner Khary Pierre, batsman Isaiah Rajah, and former West Indies Under-19 batsman Cephas Cooper. RED FORCE SQUAD: Yannick Ottley (captain), Jeremy Solozano, Isaiah Rajah, Joshua Da Silva, Jason Mohammed, Imran Khan, Akeal Hosein, Bryan Charles, Uthman Muhammad, Anderson Phillip, Terrance Hinds, Cephas Cooper, Khary Pierre. Mervyn Dillon (coach), David Furlonge (manager).last_img read more

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis State Representative Sue Allor is honoring a fallen Michigan State Police Officer by co–sponsoring a bill in remembrance of Trooper Vicki Moreau Devries. On July 22nd in 1982, Devries was working undercover as a Narcotics Officer.She was making her way home after a successful investigation, when her unmarked MSP vehicle left the roadway and overturned.Trooper Devries was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident, which happened on I–696 Freeway in Farmington Hills.Representative Sue Allor is co–sponsoring a bill that would pay homage to the fallen trooper. She describes Devries as a hero, saying that her bravery deserves to be remembered and commemorated with a highway memorial. The bill would name a portion of I–696 the “Trooper Vicki Moreau Devries Memorial Highway”. The house bill has been referred to the transportation and infrastructure committee. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Inspiring 12-Year-Old Gives BackNext U.S Representative Jack Bergman Fights For The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuarylast_img read more

first_img22 May 2016 England women’s team named for St Rule Trophy Olivia Winning, the Scottish women’s open stroke play champion, will team up with internationals Gemma Clews and Bethan Popel to represent England in the Nations Cup at next weekend’s St Rule Trophy. The 54-hole stroke play championship will be played over the New and Old Courses at St Andrews on 28 and 29 May. The team event is played alongside all three rounds and the best two scores from three will count. The players: Gemma Clews, 21, (Delamere Forest) tied fifth in the Welsh ladies’ stroke play and was 21st in the Scottish and 18th in the Irish versions. She won the Delamere Comboy Scratch Trophy for the third time in a row at the start of the season. Bethan Popel, 20, (Long Ashton) was runner-up in the St Rule Trophy last year and was sixth in the British women’s stroke play. This season she has tied fifth in the Welsh stroke play and been 12th in the Irish. Olivia Winning, 21, (Rotherham) won the Helen Holm Scottish ladies’ stroke play for the second time in April (pictured with the trophy, courtesy Kenny Smith). She went on to take 12th place in the Welsh stroke play, having been runner-up last year.last_img read more

first_img 200 players at the English Girls’ Championships have pledged to help grow the game of golf by introducing one friend to the sport.The aim of the campaign is for that friend to then pledge to introduce one of their friends to golf, creating a ripple effect across the country and in turn helping to boost participation levels of the sport.England Golf ambassador Charley Hull, who is currently playing at the RICOH Women’s British Open in Woburn, has backed the campaign. Charley said: “I have pledged to get one of my friends to take up golf so I can help grow the game and inspire the next generation to play. Golf is great to play with your friends – it’s a good way of spending some quality time together whilst doing exercise at the same time!”Lauren Spray, Women & Girls’ Participation Manager at England Golf said “It’s fantastic to see so many young girls pledging to help grow the game. This year is a really exciting year for golf with the sport being included in the Olympics for the first time in 112 years. With professional women such as Charley Hull and Scotland’s Catriona Matthew representing Team GB in Rio we are hoping that this will also help to inspire more women and girls all across the country to take up the game”.England Golf is working hard to tackle the challenges facing the game and create an even brighter future for golf. ‘Get into golf’ is a national campaign to get more people golfing. The campaign is designed to introduce new golfers, juniors and adults, to start playing as well as increasing the interest and participation in golf. Visit www.getintogolf.org to find out about beginner courses, taster lessons and special events at clubs and ranges nationwide.Other England Golf programmes to grow participation include Golf Express, which promotes 9-hole golf to encourage busy people to play all the game in half the time. It recognises the pace of modern life and offers 9-hole formats that most golfers can conveniently fit into a busy schedule. The golfexpress9.org website offers places to play across the country through its online directory and also features special offers.England Golf is also working to attract more women and girls to golf and has just held Women’s Golf Month to draw attention to the opportunities available. These include the successful Girls Golf Rocks programme, which is run jointly with the Golf Foundation. It encourages beginners to have fun, learn a new sport, get active and play alongside friends, with the encouragement of young ambassadors from county girls’ squads.The English girls’ championships for U18, U16 and U14 age groups are taking place at The Nottinghamshire Golf and Country Club. Click here for more information.Caption: Holly Haslam, Morgan Thomas, Briony Bayles, Chloe Gibbs and Bella Jay sign the pledge at the English girls’ championships. (Image © Leaderboard Photography) 28 Jul 2016 200 girls pledge to grow the game of golf last_img read more