first_img– $200,000 found on teenager banditAt least seven motorcars were stolen while a few others were broken into and a few houses burglarised over the past few days in New Amsterdam, Berbice.On Friday, Divisional Commander Assistant Commissioner Paul Langevine, DSM, told Guyana Times that he was unaware of several cars being stolen.More alarming, is the fact that teenagers are being used to carry out these criminal acts. One of the perpetrators has been identified as a student who attends a special needs school in New Amsterdam.There have been concerns over the police’s apparent slothfulness in responding to the reports and more so, there are no systems in place to prevent an occurrence.One of the car owners reportedly caught a teenager in his car red-handed and gave him a good flogging but the police are now threatening to charge him with assault.The motorcar belonging to Hikel that crashed into the utility poleAnother car owner reported that he woke up and found his car broken into. Upon checking, $12,000 was removed and the ignition wires had been cut which is evidence that the perpetrator was trying to steal the car.One businessman, Jacob Hikel, recalled that he was injured when a teenager attacked him with an ice pick during a home invasion. His car was also stolen.Hikel told Guyana Times that he heard footsteps in the house and thought it was a relative but in the wee hours of Friday morning, he heard his car engine start and as he looked through his bedroom window, he saw his car being driven out of the yard.According to Hikel, he dashed out of the bedroom and went to the first floor where he was greeted by an open door. When he got outside, he was attacked by a teenager with an ice pick. The young man then jumped the fence and escaped.Meanwhile, the grill work to one of the windows was cut at his Lot 63-64 Vrymens Ervin home. It appears as though someone jumped into the verandah and cut the grill to gain entry to the building.The lock on the front door was also wrenched off. The perpetrators reportedly removed a computer and a music box along with alcoholic beverages and grocery from the refrigerator.Meanwhile, as the car drove away, Hikel gave chase on foot for about 200 meters but eventually gave up.The grill work to the window of Hikel’s house was cut with a nipper“I see the car turn around and start coming towards me very fast and I had to jump into the corner to save myself,” he told Guyana Times.Surveillance footage captured the car, PPP 7796, crashing into a utility pole. The pole broke and fell onto the vehicle but the occupants managed to escape unhurt with a number of items including a vacuum cleaner and a headphone as well as documents.Meanwhile, several other persons have reported that their homes were burglarised – one such house is owned by Denise Brutus of Lot 72 Errol’s Ville.According to Brutus, she woke up and found the back door open and her 55-inch flat screen television missing. An electronic tablet and three flash drives were also taken by the perpetrators.She explained that several louvre panes were removed from a window to gain access into the building. The woman noted that on the following night, more louvre panes were removed from another window but the bandits could not gain entry due to the bars.However, the bandits went to the upper flat where Merissa Brutus lives. She said she looked through her bedroom door and saw the front door rocking and got up and armed herself but the perpetrators aborted their attack.In addition, on Monday last, Denise was having a conversation with a friend and based on the features of a 13-year-old boy, suspicions were raised. He was cornered and upon questioning, he admitted that he helped the others to take out the louvre panes but did not go in the house.He was handed over to the police where $200,000 was allegedly found in his possession. He reportedly told investigators that he broke into the New Amsterdam Central Islamic Mosque at Main and King Streets, where he stole the money.The window with the missing louvre panesImam of the Mosque, Mosses Haniff, told this publication that the place of worship was broken into and the contribution box was broken into and the contents are missing.“I can’t say how much money was in it at the time because it was donations,” he explained.Haniff said the matter was reported to the police and was surprised when this publication informed him that someone had confessed to taking the money to the police.“The police have not gotten on to me and that was since Monday, they should have by now,” he said.last_img read more

first_imgAnd for Henrikh Mkhitaryan, whose future has been the subject of much speculation amid reports that Mourinho will listen to offers for the Armenian  when the January transfer window opens, his 20-minute substitute cameo against the Championship side was hardly encouraging.Of the potential returning players for the visit to Leicester, right-back Antonio Valencia has a hamstring problem but is expected to recover in time.To worsen Mourinho’s mood, and his team’s preparation for the Leicester game, they did not return to Manchester until 0500 GMT on Thursday after fog forced the cancellation of their private flight.Leicester host Mourinho’s side on the back of their own League Cup defeat on Wednesday to United’s cross-city rivals Manchester City.But having taken Pep Guardiola’s side to penalties, Foxes defender Christian Fuchs said the former Premier League champions, revitalised under new manager Claude Puel, will enter the weekend with confidence.“It gives us a good feeling with the way we played,” he said. “We didn’t win but we kept possession, it felt good and it gives us confidence back.“We’re happy with the performance. The feeling of disappointment we have now, we can be proud and go into the United game with a good feeling.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) More relevant to the futures of some of his fringe players, the performance means they will not be considered when Mourinho focuses on the more urgent matter of trying to cut into Manchester City’s 11-point lead at the top of the table.“The reality is that the ones that were on the pitch were the ones that were not in the last (league) match and are the ones that not going to be in the next match,” he said.“I think they lost a good opportunity also to play semi-finals and also to have two more matches to play.”To add to the manager’s damning appraisal of the defeat, Mourinho also said some of his players did not even want to “come to the office” as Bristol pulled off one of the season’s major cup surprises.Paul Pogba, who returned at Bristol following a three-match suspension, is presumably exempt from such criticism.And Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who started his first game of the season in the upset, is likely also to be involved at Leicester although, with doubts persisting over his match fitness, he may only be on the bench.But, with the possible additional exceptions of Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford, it appears unlikely that any of the starters from Ashton Gate will retain their starting positions on Saturday.For players such as Luke Shaw and Matteo Darmian, who have struggled to convince Mourinho that they are worthy of regular first team football, the Bristol defeat could prove especially damaging.–Manchester United’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan (L), pictured in October 2017, is expected to start against Brighton on Saturday after being consigned to the bench by his disappointed coachmove? – 0Shares0000Manager Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United lost to Bristol City in the quarter-final of the 2017 League CupMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Dec 22- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has warned players who were humbled at Bristol City they will not be in contention when his side returns to Premier League duty at Leicester on Saturday. The surprise 2-1 League Cup quarter-final defeat at the hands of a Championship club means United will not retain the trophy that Mourinho won last season, his first as manager at Old Trafford.last_img read more